Tuesday, August 16, 2011

DESTROY YOUR GOALS: DOUBLE 44KG CLEAN & PRESS




I got to the RKC II prepared to nail the press. And failed. I was crushed. Things happened so fast. There was very little warm-up and my head got the best of me. I knew I had it and didn't deliver when it counted. It was extremely disappointing. Especially, considering I had about five makes on my phone. 


I got home to NY by 12:30, instructed my 4-5pm kettlebell class and by 5:30 had the 44kg press with both arms done and on youtube. The next morning, I got word from my Team Leader, Phil Scarito, that I had officially passed and was an RKC II. Awesome. 


Now the hard work began. I was going to make the 44kg my bitch. I created a clean & press program for myself involving heavy double kb reps and heavier single kb rep. I would not allow myself to go lower than double 36kg and would not go over 40kg for a month. I could feel myself getting stronger and resisted the urge to pick up the 44kg. I transitioned from my program into Dan John's 40 Day Workout plan. The only change up I made was allowing myself to use double 32kgs due to how often I was pressing. I still left the 44kg untouched. 


Then on the last day of week 1, I was able to clean & press double 40kgs (video in previous post). I knew I had it that day. I was surprised at how easily they went up. It felt great.


I rested a day and the following morning, my gut was telling me that something big was going to go down. It had been about a month since I set my own weight restrictions and I took the training wheels off. I didn't even attempt a single 44 press. I just went straight to the double 44s and nailed it first try. 


The Beast went up immediately after.

No comments:

Post a Comment