Thursday, February 23, 2012

BRINGING HARDSTYLE TO THE JUMBOTRON IN NYC

It pays to have smart friends with a sense of a humor. In my previous life, I produced visual effects for commercials and the occasional film scene or music video. I also helped run a couple of VFX companies. I had the privilege of meeting many great, bright and extremely creative people during my tenure in the VFX world. Last night, there was a reunion for former employees of one these shops. The reunion was organized by MegaMind, Todd Brous, President and CEO of Untwist Technology and the creator of the Hudzee hard drive storage case. Todd, and his Todd Squad, are responsible for creating, implementing and maintaining the infrastructure for many of New York's finest and most technologically advanced visual effects companies. He's also ventured into outdoor jumbo screen LED displays. 


For the location of the reunion, Todd got us space in Bar Basque on 6th Ave and 28th Street in New York City. Todd had previously set up one of his giant LED screens outside of the restaurant where diners, hotel guests and people on the street can watch movies, sports, etc. 


The screen as viewed from Ave. of the Americas and 28th St.


As part of the reunion, Todd offered everyone the opportunity to have their VFX and design reels play to the public on the jumbo screen. I joked on Facebook, "All I have is my YouTube channel: coachfurysc. You can loop me lifting stuff all night. \m/ \m/."


And with that, I walked into the bar, turned around and saw this on the jumbotron... 


Pressing the Beast for the people of NYC. 

It was me mid-press with the 48kg while training for the RKC Beast Tamer Challenge. The whole thing was both fantastic and completely ridiculous. Is this the biggest public advertisement for kettlebells? Not sure, but it was awesome. 

Fury view from the bar. 

I was glad that I had originally taken the time to add titles and a URL to the training clip. The video played at least a dozen times (one time as the commercial break during the basketball game). My wise ass comment had inadvertently brought Coach Fury, the Beast Tamer Challenge and kettlebells to the masses of NYC. Easily, hundreds if not thousands of people saw a portion of that clip throughout the evening.

I had a great time catching up with everyone at the reunion. While I don't miss the industry, I do miss the people (though I now train a lot of them). 

Special thanks to Todd Brous, the QM Ghost crew, and the Untwist/Hudzee squad. 

Click the links below to learn more about Todd, Untwist Technologies and HudZee.

-Fury out




1 comment:

  1. Was great seeing you and the crew. Fantastic that Todd set up the clips and everyone got to see Coach Fury at his finest!

    ReplyDelete