Tuesday, March 5, 2013

THE V-DIET EXPERIENCE

I first heard of the Velocity Diet during my RKC II certification in July of 2011. Dan John had just helped Danny Sawaya get through it. It sounded awful but hooked my curiosity. The Velocity Diet consists of 5 shakes a day with only one healthy solid meal (HSM) a week for 28 days. There is then a 2 week transition period as you return to solid foods.  There is also a training protocol to be followed but training has never been my problem so I won't go deeply into that right now. You can find out all of the details here: Velocity Diet 3.0

Dan John had also put himself through the diet. You can read his experience about it in his book, Never Let Go. I completely related to Dan's story on many levels. 



Two things appealed to me about this brutal diet program. First, the rules are simple and second it takes 100% commitment. 

A month ago I was wrapping up a 12 week powerlifting program. I had bulked up with some muscle, but also put on a bunch of fat. I will openly admit it, I AM AN EMOTIONAL EATER. Sue me. I always have been and I struggle to control myself everyday. In the past year, I have been dealing with a forthcoming divorce and a semi-state of homelessness. Yes, I always have a place to stay, but consistency was lost. On the bright side, I also found an amazing new girlfriend. So, I would eat and drink when I was depressed and eat and drink to celebrate. At the end of my 12 week program, I was stronger and fatter than I have been in years. 

During this time, I was also honored to be invited to assist at The Boston SFG for STRONGFIRST. It was time to lean out. I order the kit and reached out to Dan and Danny. 

With the support of Dan, Danny and Gary Ralph Music I got going. My starting weight was 216.4. Dan was an invaluable resource because he was able to give some pretty specific mental warnings about when things would get tough. The first few days actually went pretty easily. Day 5 was my weekend with my two kids. They were having pizza and I almost lost my mind. I knew I wouldn't fold, but damn I wanted to. Knowing that Dan, Danny and Gary were supporting me (and ready to shame me for failure) got me through it. By the end of day 5, my HSM meal was close and I breezed through week 1. That HSM was one of the best meals of my life. I took my time and chewed. I savored my food instead of inhaling it. I had lost about 7 pounds in week 1.

Week 2 started easier than expected. However, I noticed two things. My energy levels were a bit low and I had a sore throat that I thought was over, creeping back in. The days with my kids were the worst. It wasn't just that I couldn't have what they were eating, but I missed the actual experience of sharing a meal with them. On day 11, I finally had to see a doctor about my sore throat. It turns out that I had strep and had to go on antibiotics. Antibiotics that needed to be taken with food. Crap.

I called Dan and asked how he thought I should proceed. I won't use his exact words, but I was given his first approved stoppage. The diet had to stop and I had to deal with the strep. At least I didn't have to wear an I AM DAN JOHN'S BITCH t-shirt. 

In 11 days I had lost about 11 pounds. More importantly, I stopped drinking Red Bulls, greatly minimized my sugar cravings and drastically reduced my alcohol intake. With the addition of solid foods, I quickly went up to 209. Then with the renewed control over myself got back down to 207 and continue to lose. My goal is 200 by the April SFG.

This was a great and challenging experience. I wish I could have seen it through. However, this is not for everyone. I will admit that I had lost control of my eating and needed drastic change. Most people can and should make normal nutritional or training adjustments to lose the weight. 

Special thanks go out to Dan John, Danny Sawaya, Gary Ralph Music, Tristan Phillips and my girlfriend Kim for their support. 

-Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment