By Steve “Coach Fury” Holiner

DVRT Master Chief Instructor, Senior RKC, Original Strength Instructor & MFF Fitness Ninja.
I am quick warm-up kind of guy. We’ve all seen those folks that spend 20 plus minutes warming up and then wonder why they can’t get their program done. Now don’t get my impatience confused with bravado. I warm-up but I do it efficiently. My schedule is packed between work and the kids. I need to make the most of my precious training time. One of the things that DVRT (Dynamic Variable Resistance Training) and Original Strength share is idea of stacking movements or lifts on top of each other. In OS, we refer to this as using resets within resets. This is a great way to trim the fat and make the most of what is essential in your warm-up. 
I had that concept in mind when I came up with this movement. It’s an Ultimate Sandbag (USB) ROTATIONAL LUNGE TO PRESS OUT. This quick movement will get the lats, abs, hips, glutes and hammies engaged with a quickness. It will also help with your hip and trunk stability as well help with your thoracic and shoulder mobility. How you say?

In the video I’m using a 15 pound Core USB. Using the outer handles, I clean the USB and immediately begin to pull the handles apart. Oh, there are my lats! I go into a reverse lunge and as I step back and lower myself, I also rotate at my T-Spine as I press the USB out. What I love about this movement is how it has components of strength, correctives, contra-lateral motion and midline crossing all in one. In short order, it fits perfectly within the systems I use and love.

Give it a shot toward the beginning of your warm-up and also at the end of your workout. You may just find it helps knit up any areas that are fatigued at the end of your session.

-Fury out

Steve “Coach Fury” Holiner, DVRT Master Chief Instructor, Senior RKC, is a proud member of the Ninja Army training staff at Mark Fisher Fitness in NYC. Fury is available for classes, semi-privates, instructor training and programming at MFF. He also has availability for private training at Five Points Academy and Catalyst S.P.O.R.T. Check out www.coachfury.comfacebook.com/coachfury and Twitter @coachfury for more info.