Sunday, May 15, 2016

FIVE YEARS OF THE EVOLVING FURY

By Steve “Coach Fury” Holiner
MFF Coach, Master RKC, OS Lead Instructor, Master DVRT

Happy anniversary to me!

Five years ago, I became a full-time Strength Coach.

Though that may not seem like a long time, bare in mind that average career span of most trainers is only 1-3 years. By those standards, I’m crushing it for a guy that found his calling in his late 30s (43 now). Fury is in overtime!
The past five years have been an insane rollercoaster. Super lows. Crazy highs.

LOWS
• My salary dropped about $80,000 overnight.
• My marriage ended.
• I moved out of an apartment I co-owned to sleep on couches, an unfinished apartment, a storage room and eventually had to move back home with my folks.
• Starting from nothing, I had to build a business, reputation and a brand for myself.
• Debt.

HIGHS
I get to work at the best gym and with the best educational systems.
• Kim and I found each other.
• We now live in a place big enough to house our creative/training space, Fury Industries.
• I’ve been able to meet, teach and learn with so many amazing people.
• Traveling around the U.S. and the world to teach.
• Writing.
• All of the lows. I continue to grow more from the tough times than the easy.
• I help people.
• I do what I love.
Sharing my passion and working with friends at the 2015 RKC Kettlebell Certification at Catalyst SPORT in NYC.

There were so many times that I considered giving up and chasing the easier cash back in my previous career. Unexpectedly, I know I’d be an even better producer if I were to go back. Through fitness I’ve read books on leadership, communication, personal development and sales that were never discussed in my previous career. None of my bosses ever suggested those types of business books. Quite frankly, my friends John DuCane and Mark Fisher were the first two guys to suggest non-fitness books like Essentialism and The Obstacle Is The Way to advance my potential as a coach. In turn, reading those books helped me evolve into a better person. I am a greater version of me because of what I do. I am myself.

I help people. I do what I love.
Putting my film degree to use with "FIlms of Fury" at MFF.
Those are the two big rocks that have kept me in this field longer than most. This is my calling. This is my passion. I work hard and study often. If anything, I am teaching my kids to follow their hearts. There are so many daily sacrifices made to push what I do in fitness. And that’s ok. The reward is worth the risk. I would not be here if it wasn’t.
Don’t be fooled. I have so much further to go in obtaining my goals. These last five years were only the beginning. I’m in this for the long haul.
OS/DVRT: Dynamic Strength is the first course created by yours truly. 
Along with my roles within MFF, the RKC, DVRT and Original Strength, I have something big that will be launching soon. If you’ve taken classes, workshops or certifications with me, you will likely have heard my personal mission statement.  

If you haven’t heard it, Stay tuned.

Giant things are happening.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you all for your continued support. I would not be here without you.

Love,

Fury


Steve “Coach Fury” Holiner’s superhero headquarters is Mark Fisher Fitness in NYC. Fury’s also a Master RKC, an Original Strength Lead Instructor and a Master DVRT. He is available for classes, semi-privates, instructor training and programming at MFF. Fury also does online training and is available to teach workshops. Check out coachfury.comfacebook.com/coachfury Instagram@iamcoachfury and Twitter @coachfury for more info.


No comments:

Post a Comment