Thursday, July 7, 2016

HOPE IS NOT A STRATEGY

Hey everyone, 

I present you the first Die Mighty Guest Manifesto! This is incredibly special to me because what the writer, Evan Ganz, doesn't mention is that we've been friends since high school. We spent years skateboarding, collecting star wars toys, seeing movies and going to concerts together.

I'm not going to give any spoilers away, but you are going to hit a very powerful statement in here. When you do, you'll see what Die Mighty is all about. We defy letting ourselves go by taking action!

Please read, like and share. 

Please email me (coachfury@gmail.com) if you'd like to share your Die Mighty story. 

Now without further ado, I present you Evan's guest manifesto. 

-Fury

HOPE IS NOT A STRATEGY
A Die Mighty Guest Manifesto
By Evan Ganz
Store Manager at Barnes & Noble

I want to start this out with a little background on how I got here. About 9 years ago I was diagnosed with all the things that men don't want to hear about. High cholesterol, high blood sugar and overweight. I started to treat it with medication, but a move caused me to not find a new doctor and stop taking my meds. 2 years later I had heart failure and was pretty down.

That's when I noticed that Coach Fury was changing his life and using these things called kettlebells so I reached out to him and he guided me through how to properly train. Unfortunately while doing this, my doctor's felt it was best that I have a pacemaker installed. After my surgery, Steve was the only person who reached out to me and inspired me not to give up.
Once I healed I started hitting the kettlebells again, but my range of motion wasn't the same. I decided I can't quit and started running. Within 3 months I ran my first 5k, astonished my doctors by my recovery, and started training for a 10k.

Then I injured my knee and was told to lighten up on the exercise and heal. I made several attempts to get back into training, but just could never get back into the groove.

Then I moved again.

This time I got a doctor right away so I didn't slip. I tried running, but just couldn't get it going. On top of that, I had a terrible year and work and started to feel like I was spiraling into oblivion. Nothing seemed to be going my way and I was feeling down. I was just hoping that things would get better.

Then once again, Coach Fury finds a way to inspire me.

I noticed that he was making some kind of announcement about taking his training to the next level. This couldn't have come at a better time for me.

"Die Mighty" was the call and the kick in the ass I needed. I needed to stop hoping things would get better and start doing.

No Ganz male in my family has made it out of their 40's and I need to defy those odds.
That day I realized I was happiest when I was healthy.

I was happiest when I was running and getting strong.

I was my best at work and in my personal life when I was strong.

Since Steve's call to action, I've started training for another 5k that I plan on running on my 44th birthday. I’m doing it right this time. I know what my limits are and how to properly avoid injury.

I will now be strong!

I will now #diemighty!

-Evan Ganz


Die Mighty shirts are available again! Order now:

1 comment:

  1. What an inspiring story! Knocked down but never giving up. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete