Saturday, October 24, 2015

THE BIRTHDAY GIFT

*On October 21st (Back to the Future Day), I turned 43. Double legal plus! I was deeply touched by all of the calls, texts, messages and social media posts I received that day. I'm humbled that so many people took a moment to think of me.
Below is an incredible birthday message I received from a former student of mine. I don't share this to brag. I share this as an example of why I do what I do.

This is the power coaches have when we focus on the work and not image or ego. The message here also shows the value of investing in a good coach versus winging it in a gym.

Please take a moment to read:


Steve.

My birthday gift to you is actually feedback and a progress note of something that you did for me. You drilled paying attention to form into me and with my injury list. Quality over quantity is my mantra.

Over a year without upper or lower back injury (for the first time in 20 years). Shoulder is never going to be 100%, but it is stronger and injury-free and I'm back to pull-ups. I keep to simple stuff: pushups and planks, pull-ups and hanging planks, swings, cleans, crawls, squats, lunges, deadlifts. All while remembering your cues.

My main recent accomplishment was at a GORUCK Challenge a few weeks ago. After covering multiple miles, carrying heavy shit and getting smoked doing calisthenics for nearly 12 hours, our last task was to cover a mile. That mile was split between bear crawls, walking lunges and buddy carries, with rest breaks for overhead presses and pushups. To further break it down, exercises for roughly half a mile, buddy carries for the other half. It was a constant rotation and it took a long time (about an hour), so it's not a straight crawl, lunge, carry, but still very hard. The biggest thing for me was the buddy carry. Half a mile split with a partner: I carry him, he carries me, so quarter mile per person. While this is something that's not that hard to accomplish for some, it's a big deal and a benchmark for me. I carried a 195lb dude, plus his 40lb pack, plus my 40lb pack for total of quarter of a mile.

To borrow a saying from one of the GORUCK event cadre, "Nobody cares what you can do when you are fresh". After being beat for almost 12 hours, I kept my mind focused and kept my form. Your coaching gets full credit for my performance.

Thank you. Happy Birthday.

Keep doing what you're doing.

-D.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment